Monday, September 29, 2008

Reflection of Time

(As copied from Hailey's blog. Please copy the questions about where you were 20, 10, 5, 3, 1 year ago and also today, tomorrow, and 1 year from now and post on your blog!)

20 years ago: I was 12 and thought I knew it all. My sister and I fought like cats and dogs. She always wanted to hang out with me and my friends, me wanting her to just leave me alone! My dad had remarried and was living on an acreage. I have fond memories at their place. Helping my dad mow (all weekend chore it seemed like), wash the cars, pick up poo (that was always my punishment).

10 years ago: Chris and I had just purchased our first home in Lincoln, Nebraska and were engaged to be married. I was working on my last semester at the University of Nebraska and working 30 hours a week at USDA. Chris was running a grocery store with his mom and dad in Wahoo, Nebraska and I helped him work at the store on the weekends. Chris was putting in 12-hour days, 6 days a week. On the weekends we'd open and close the store, which made for really long days . I'm convinced that you don't really know work until you work at a grocery store. It was a hard time in our life, but we got through it and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

5 years ago: Chris and I had just moved to La Quinta, California from Ft Collins, Colorado (the first time - ;o)). Chris had put in for a transfer to Palm Desert with 1stBank. We were starting a new adventure, just the two of us. We needed to know whether we could live on just each other. It was lonely at times, but we made it!

3 years ago: We were still living in California. Emma was 3 months old (my, how it seems like just yesterday). Chris was still with 1stBank while I was home with Emma, working part-time from home at GordonRoss. Emma went with me everywhere!! I would take her into work with me, take her shopping, take her with me to get my haircut, lunch with Tina, breakfast with Frannie - just everywhere. We had season tickets to the Chargers, so we took her with us to all of the games that year. We'd tailgate with her . . . propped her up in the trunk while we grilled out. Great memories.

1 year ago: By this time, Ellie was 9 months old and Emma was 2. We were living back in Ft Collins, Colorado. Chris was working for 1stBank in Longmont and I was working in Ft Collins back in USDA, and gramma was taking care of the kids while we worked. I remember being really tired. Working full time was hard on both Chris and I. We did whatever we could to spend as much time with the kids as possible.



today: Well today, we are back in California - Indio this time. Chris is still working for 1stBank, about to embark on running his own branch here in Indio while I am enjoying my time as a stay at home mom. I'm realizing that my kids will be starting kindergarten before I know it. We definitely have our good days and bad, but being a mom is like no other job on earth!
one year from now: Only time will tell.

0 comments: